In 1939 the legislature passed the Real Estate Dealer's License Act, which required real estate agents to obtain licenses. This act was administered by the secretary of state until 1949, when the Texas Real Estate Commission assumed the administrative responsibilities associated with it. The commission was initially composed of six members, but in 1979 the number was increased to nine: six of the members had to have been active as real estate brokers for at least five years prior to their appointment, and three members had to have no financial interest in the real estate business. The commission's primary duties included issuing and renewing licenses to real estate agents, revoking licenses when appropriate, and instituting proceedings against individuals practicing without a license. In 1990 the commission had eighty-nine full-time employees and nearly $3 million in appropriations from the legislature. The commission was reviewed under the Sunset Act in 1991 and was renewed.
Support Texas History Now
Join TSHA to support quality Texas history programs and receive exclusive benefits.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.
Vivian Elizabeth Smyrl, “Texas Real Estate Commission,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed January 22, 2021, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/texas-real-estate-commission.
Published by the Texas State Historical Association.