Texas Western Press is the publishing division of the University of Texas at El Paso. In 1967, when Texas Western College changed its name to University of Texas at El Paso, the press retained the old name. The press publishes books and articles dealing with the American Southwest; histories of Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, Mexico, and the United States-Mexico border are of primary importance. Also included are linguistics and selected studies in the social, physical, and life sciences. In 1948 Carl Hertzog, the founder and first director of the press, joined the faculty of the College of Mines and Metallurgy, the institution that became Texas Western. He taught art, English, and book design. Hertzog founded Texas Western Press in 1952. Before this date, all printing for the school was done by the University of Texas in Austin. The first book published by TWP was The Spanish Heritage of the Southwest (1952) by Francis Fugate, with type hand-set by students under Hertzog's supervision; 500 copies were printed. Hertzog developed a unique adobe-brick cover design for this book and used it on others that followed. When financial problems arose, he made contributions out of his own pocket to keep the press in operation. Not until 1962 did the press begin to receive regular funding. Hertzog retired in 1972, and E. Haywood Antone became director and editor. In 1981 Hugh W. Treadwell became director, and in September 1985 Dale L. Walker assumed the directorship. The director of the Texas Western Press is responsible for the development of a publishing program. He also screens manuscripts submitted for publication and makes recommendations to the editorial board, which has the final responsibility of approving manuscripts for publication. Members of the board are appointed by the president of the university and serve three-year terms on a rotating basis.
Southwestern Studies, a quarterly series of monographs, has been a highly successful project of the Texas Western Press. This series of more than seventy-five monographs was initiated in 1963 by Samuel D. Myers, Jr., who joined the press in 1962 as editor and chairman of the board. The studies cover a wide variety of historical subjects. Titles have included Haldeen Braddy's Pancho Villa at Columbus (1965), Robert N. Mullin's The Boyhood of Billy the Kid (1967), J. J. Borden's The Ponce de León Land Grant (1969), John H. Haddox's Los Chicanos (1970), and Robert H. Thonhoff's San Antonio Stage Lines, 1847–1881 (1971). The Chamizal Settlement (1963) by Gladys Gregory was reprinted in the Congressional Record and was influential in the settlement of the Chamizal Dispute. Texas Western Press has encouraged publishing by UTEP faculty members. Published works of the faculty include C. L. Sonnichsen's El Paso Salt War of 1877 (1961) and Haldeen Braddy's Hamlet's Wounded Name (1964) and Pershing's Mission in Mexico (1966), as well as monographs by several others. The press evenly divides publication between faculty and nonfaculty writers. Texas Western Press lists three goals in its publishing efforts: to promote communication between scholars at UTEP and other universities, to provide information derived from research in Southwestern subjects, and to contribute to the understanding, appreciation, and development of the regional culture.
Is history important to you?
We need your support because we are a non-profit organization that relies upon contributions from our community in order to record and preserve the history of our state. Every dollar helps.
Evan Haywood Antone, "Texas Western Press: The First Twenty-Five Years," Nova, September 1977.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.
Hugh W. Treadwell,
“Texas Western Press,”
Handbook of Texas Online,
accessed August 15, 2022,
Published by the Texas State Historical Association.
Original Publication Date:
July 1, 1995
Most Recent Revision Date:
January 28, 2020