Thedford, TX


By: Vista K. McCroskey

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: July 1, 1995


Thedford is just south of Lindale and north of the intersection of Interstate 20 and U.S. Highway 69 in northwestern Smith County. It was named for Lem Thedford, a pioneer settler who organized the rural school district. The site became a shipping point on the International-Great Northern Railroad in 1874. The community had a population of twenty-five in 1910, and the 1936 county highway map showed a small cluster of dwellings and a cemetery at the site. In 1966 Thedford consisted of a collection of dwellings, some clay pits, several dirt roads, and the Sitton Cemetery. The community reported sixty-five inhabitants in 1990. The population remained the same in 2000.

Albert Woldert, A History of Tyler and Smith County (San Antonio: Naylor, 1948).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Vista K. McCroskey, “Thedford, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 22, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/thedford-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
July 1, 1995

Place
Thedford
Currently Exists
Yes
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1348465
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Smith County
Coordinates
  • Latitude: 32.48458740°
  • Longitude: -95.39662170°
Population Counts
People Year
65 2009