Thelma, TX (Bexar County)

By: Christopher Long

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: July 1, 1995


Thelma, at the junction of Loop 1604 and the Southern Pacific line, fifteen miles south of downtown San Antonio in southern Bexar County, was established around 1900. A post office opened there in 1906, and after the San Antonio, Uvalde and Gulf Railroad was built through in 1912, Thelma became a station on the line. By 1914 the town had 300 residents, a general store, and four dairies. Its post office was replaced by general delivery in 1921. In 1940 one business and a population of twenty-five were reported at Thelma. Thelma declined after World War II, and in the early 1990s it was a dispersed rural community with a few scattered houses. The population was forty-five in 2000.

Places:

  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Christopher Long, “Thelma, TX (Bexar County),” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed September 25, 2021, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/thelma-tx-bexar-county.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
July 1, 1995

Loading