Thermo, TX

By: Christopher Long

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: May 1, 1995


Font size: A / A reset

Thermo, on Farm Road 1870 and the Louisiana and Arkansas Railway, five miles east of Sulphur Springs in eastern Hopkins County, was founded around 1900. A brick manufacturing plant was established in 1910. The community was originally known as Crush, after a large rock crusher near the townsite. The rock was used for construction of railroad lines. The town's name was later changed to Thermo, for the Thermo Fire Brick Company, which produced fire-resistant brick. In the mid-1930s the community had the factory and a number of houses. In the late 1980s the factory was still in operation. The community was still listed in 1990.

Florene Chapman Adams, Hopkins County and Our Heritage. (Sulphur Springs, Texas: 197-?).

Places:

  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Christopher Long, “Thermo, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed September 18, 2021, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/thermo-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
May 1, 1995

Loading