Thomas, eight miles southwest of Carthage in southern Panola County, was established around 1875. A post office opened there in 1883 with James L. Thomas, after whom the community was named, serving as postmaster. By 1885 the community included two churches, a steam cotton gin and mill, a district school, and an estimated population of fifty. The post office closed in 1899, and local mail was routed through Gary. By the mid-1930s the community was no longer shown on the county highway map. No further population estimates were available for the town.