Thurman, TX


By: Cecil Harper, Jr.

Type: General Entry

Published: July 1, 1995


Thurman, six miles east of Center in Shelby County, received a post office in 1888 with Minor D. Carroll as postmaster. In 1892 the settlement included a store, a gristmill, and a cotton gin. Its post office was discontinued in 1892, and by 1946 it had ceased to exist as a named community.

Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Cecil Harper, Jr., “Thurman, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 25, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/thurman-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

July 1, 1995

Place
Thurman
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Shelby County
Associated Names

Carroll's Store