Tigertown, TX (Lamar County)


By: Sarah E. Calcote

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: May 1, 1995


Tigertown is on Sanders Creek sixteen miles northwest of Paris in northwest Lamar County. The community was named Cothran's Store, for an early family, and used as a voting place for Precinct Five in county elections for 1873. It had a post office from 1878 to 1905. At the same time the community was also known as Tigertown or Tige, supposedly because of a circus poster in a saloon. In 1890 the community had a population of seventy-five, a hotel, a grocery, and a gristmill. By 1892 it had two general stores, a cotton gin, two physicians, and Methodist and Presbyterian churches. Four years later a district school was located in the community. Maps of the 1930s show rows of dwellings, at least two sawmills, a hotel, a cemetery, and Tigertown School at the site. By 1936 the population had fallen to forty and the businesses to two; they stayed at this level through the 1940s. In 1989 Tigertown appeared on highway maps that showed a grain elevator, a school, a cemetery, and one business on the site.

A. W. Neville, Backward Glances (2 vols., Paris, Texas: Wright, 1983). A. W. Neville, The History of Lamar County, Texas (Paris, Texas: North Texas, 1937; rpt. 1986).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Sarah E. Calcote, “Tigertown, TX (Lamar County),” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed June 26, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/tigertown-tx-lamar-county.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
May 1, 1995

Place
Tigertown
Currently Exists
Yes
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1369938
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Lamar County
Associated Names

Tige

Cathron's Store

Johnson's

Coordinates
  • Latitude: 33.71371320°
  • Longitude: -95.80441060°
Population Counts
People Year
400 2009