Tilmon, TX


By: Scott E. Wagner

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: March 10, 2021


Tilmon, on Farm Road 3158 ten miles southeast of Lockhart in southeastern Caldwell County, developed around Tilmon's Mill. During the antebellum Texas era this mill made molasses from cane grown in nearby creekbottoms. A post office operated at the community from 1890 to 1906. In 1905 Tilmon had a school with one teacher and forty-seven students. In 1936 the community consisted of a business, several residences, and separate schools for Black and White children. Tilmon reported twenty-five residents and two businesses in 1940. Its population was estimated at forty in 1949 and at twenty-five from 1970 through 1990, when it reported no businesses. The 1984 county highway map showed a community hall near the roadway. In 2000 the population was 117.

Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Scott E. Wagner, “Tilmon, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed July 07, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/tilmon-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
March 10, 2021

Place
Tilmon
Currently Exists
Yes
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1379163
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Caldwell County
Associated Names

-'s Mill

Eva

Putnam's Store

Coordinates
  • Latitude: 29.79772580°
  • Longitude: -97.55332980°
Population Counts
People Year
60 2014