Tinrag, TX

By: Christopher Long

Type: General Entry

Published: July 1, 1995


Tinrag (Tenrag) was a farming community on State Highway 11 a mile east of Gafford's Chapel and six miles west of Sulphur Springs in west central Hopkins County. It began as a flag station on the St. Louis Southwestern Railway, probably before 1900, and its name is a backwards spelling of Garnit, the name of some local farmers. In the mid-1930s Tinrag had several businesses and a number of scattered houses. Local children attended the nearby school in Gafford's Chapel. By the early 1960s only a few farmhouses remained, and by the 1980s Tinrag was no longer shown on county highway maps.

Florene Chapman Adams, Hopkins County and Our Heritage. (Sulphur Springs, Texas: 197-?).

Places:

  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Christopher Long, “Tinrag, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed September 28, 2021, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/tinrag-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

July 1, 1995

Loading