Tobacco Creek rises in two branches above the Caprock in northeastern Dawson County. The main branch, also known as Dry Tobacco Creek, rises ten miles northeast of Lamesa and one mile southeast of the junction of Farm roads 1210 and 178 (at 32°52' N, 101°52' W). The creek bed descends from the escarpment through Rock Canyon and maintains a southeasterly course through isolated ranchland. Wet Tobacco Creek, the southern branch, also heads along the eastern edge of the Caprock escarpment some six miles northeast of Lamesa (at 32°46' N, 101°52'W) and runs east for nine miles to join the main branch 1½ miles from the Borden county line (at 32°48' N, 101°43'W) in east central Dawson County. Tobacco Creek enters Borden County north of U.S. Highway 180 and eventually flows into the Colorado River on Muleshoe Ranch land in the southwestern part of the county, nine miles southwest of Gail (at 32°42' N, 101°33' W). From an elevation of 2,990 feet at its headwaters, the streambed descends nearly 600 feet. The total length of the stream is thirty miles. Like other area streams, Tobacco Creek was the site of numerous hunting camps during the 1870s. Capt. Nicholas Nolan's company of the Tenth United States Cavalry camped along the creek's dry bed during an expedition of 1877. Later the creek basin became part of C. C. Slaughter's West Texas holdings.