Tolosa, TX


By: Brian Hart

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: May 1, 1995


Tolosa is on State Highway 274 a mile west of Cedar Creek Reservoir and fourteen miles south of Kaufman in southeastern Kaufman County. The area was settled before the Civil War. Among the early settlers were the King and Baker families; the site was at one time known as Baker's Prairie. The name Tolosa, according to local accounts, was derived from the name of an Indian group. A post office was opened at Tolosa in 1880, and in 1884 the settlement had twenty-five residents. Six years later the population had doubled, and the community had ten businesses, three churches, and a school. By 1904 Tolosa had a population of 116, but it declined to fifty by 1936. After World War II the population stabilized; it was was fifty-eight in 1988 through 2000.

Kaufman County Historical Commission, History of Kaufman County (Dallas: Taylor, 1978).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Brian Hart, “Tolosa, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed July 07, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/tolosa-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
May 1, 1995

Place
Tolosa
Currently Exists
Yes
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1379170
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Kaufman County
  • Henderson County
Associated Names

Baker's Prairie

Coordinates
  • Latitude: 32.37069850°
  • Longitude: -96.24053270°
Population Counts
People Year
65 2009