Tomday, TX


By: Cecil Harper, Jr.

Type: General Entry

Published: July 1, 1995

Updated: March 10, 2021


Tomday (Tom Day), on the Sabine River eleven miles north of Center in northeastern Shelby County, was apparently named for one Thomas H. Day. It may have been settled in the late 1820s or early 1830s; if so, it was one of the earliest Anglo communities in the county. It received a post office in 1880, and in 1884 it had an estimated 120 residents, served by two churches, a school, a mill, and a gin. Its post office was closed in 1896, but the school was still in operation in 1903, when it served thirty-seven White children. The school had closed by 1938, and by 1946 Tomday had ceased to exist as a named community.

Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Cecil Harper, Jr., “Tomday, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 20, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/tomday-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

July 1, 1995
March 10, 2021

Place
Tomday
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Shelby County
Associated Names

Willow Grove

Wylma