Toomey, TX


By: Cecil Harper, Jr.

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: July 1, 1995


Toomey, nine miles southwest of Center in southwestern Shelby County, was named for Parson Toomey. It received a post office in 1894 with Sam P. Haliburton as postmaster. The post office was closed in 1907, and in 1946 Toomey had a store and thirty residents. By 1988 it no longer existed as a named community.

Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Cecil Harper, Jr., “Toomey, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 25, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/toomey-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
July 1, 1995

Place
Toomey
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Shelby County
Associated Names

Arcadia

Coordinates
  • Latitude: 31.76323100°
  • Longitude: -94.34048010°