Topsey, TX


By: Vivian Elizabeth Smyrl

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: July 1, 1995


Topsey is on Farm Road 580 eight miles northwest of Copperas Cove in southwestern Coryell County. It was established about 1900 and was named by a local man for his mule. A post office opened there in 1901 with Henry F. Moore as postmaster. In 1914 Topsey had a cotton gin, two general stores, and forty residents. The post office was discontinued in 1918, and mail for the community was sent to Copperas Cove. Topsey had 100 residents in the 1930s, but that number fell to sixty by the late 1940s. A community center and two churches marked the town on county highway maps in the 1980s. The population was reported as twenty in the 1980s through 2000.

Clyde and Mabel Bailey, Vignettes of Coryell County (Gatesville, Texas: Gatesville Printing, 1976). Coryell County Genealogical Society, Coryell County, Texas, Families, 1854–1985 (Dallas: Taylor, 1986). John J. Germann and Myron Janzen, Texas Post Offices by County (1986).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Vivian Elizabeth Smyrl, “Topsey, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed July 07, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/topsey-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
July 1, 1995

Place
Topsey
Currently Exists
Yes
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1370019
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Coryell County
Associated Names

Algana

Coordinates
  • Latitude: 31.21905800°
  • Longitude: -97.98502630°
Population Counts
People Year
35 2009