Towles, TX


By: Diana J. Kleiner

Type: General Entry

Published: July 1, 1995


Towles, a farming community on Farm Road 1651 six miles south of Canton in south central Van Zandt County, had a post office as early as 1878, and continuously from 1886 to 1891. Thereafter mail was delivered from Grand Saline. The town may have been named for Capt. Thomas Jefferson Towles, legislator and leader in the Van Zandt county-seat war. The Towles community had a Farmers' Alliance organization but was not shown on the 1930s county highway maps and subsequently disappeared.

Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Diana J. Kleiner, “Towles, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed July 07, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/towles-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

July 1, 1995

Place
Towles
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Van Zandt County
Associated Names

2