Towns, also spelled Tauns, was a ranch community on Las Moras Creek a mile east of U.S. Highway 277 in far northwestern Maverick County. Sometime around 1880 John Tauns, for whom the community was named, established a ranch on Las Moras Creek. Local tradition suggests that he was one of many runaway slaves who had gravitated to the United States-Mexico border area during the Civil War era. The ranch, described as a small town with a school and a store, was a social center for a growing community of ranchers in the area; gatherings for horse racing, barbecues, and dancing were a common holiday event. In 1897 the Towns School had seventeen black pupils and one teacher. By 1936 the community had been abandoned; the ranch at that time was the domicile of the Ory James family.
Support Texas History Now
Join TSHA to support quality Texas history programs and receive exclusive benefits.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.
Ruben E. Ochoa, “Towns, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed October 20, 2020, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/towns-tx.
Published by the Texas State Historical Association.