Towson, TX


By: Cecil Harper, Jr.

Type: General Entry

Published: May 1, 1995


Towson was on the Red River between Kiomatia and the site of present Davenport in northwestern Red River County, eight miles from the Lamar county line. The town was in the area of some of the earliest Anglo-American settlement in the state and seems to have emerged in the early 1870s. In 1875 a post office was opened with B. W. Hooks as postmaster, and the settlement was known as Hooks Ferry. The post office was closed the next year, and when it reopened in 1885, again with Hooks as postmaster, it was renamed Towson. In 1890 the population was estimated at fifty, and businesses included two general stores and a wagon maker. The Towson post office was closed in 1905. Although a business and several houses appear in the area on the 1936 highway department map, Towson does not appear as a named community. By 1984 only a few widely scattered houses remained.

Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Cecil Harper, Jr., “Towson, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 25, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/towson-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

May 1, 1995

Place
Towson
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Red River County
Associated Names

Hooks' Ferry