The Trail Drivers Association was organized in 1915 under the leadership of George W. Saunders to perpetuate the memory of the old trail drivers. First officers of the association were John Rufus Blocker, president; George W. Saunders, vice president; Luther Lawhon, secretary; and R. B. Pumphrey, treasurer. In 1994 membership was about 400, mostly descendants of the old drivers. Headquarters of the association are at San Antonio, where an annual celebration is usually held at Trail Drivers Hall in Brackenridge Park. In 1994 the president was Burrell Gerhardt.
Support Texas History Now
Join TSHA to support quality Texas history programs and receive exclusive benefits.
- Ranching and Cowboys
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.
Anonymous, “Trail Drivers Association,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed December 01, 2020, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/trail-drivers-association.
Published by the Texas State Historical Association.