Travis is a rural settlement located about six miles northwest of Bellville and off County Road 289 in northern Austin County. The town was laid off in 1837 near a branch of the East Fork of Mill Creek and on the survey of Gibson Kuykendall, Old Three Hundred settler and Texas army veteran. Settlers named the town after William B. Travis, commander at the Alamo. The community had a post office from 1846 to 1881, and in 1867 the Texas Almanac reported an "academy" at Travis. By the 1930s only a cemetery and scattered dwellings remained. Throughout the twentieth century highway maps showed Travis as a rural village, but no population figures were available.