The Trinity Valley Chemurgic Institute, at Romayor, was established in 1940. It was sponsored by the Forward Trinity Valley Association as part of a program of boosting the Trinity River valley. Founders included "Commodore" B. F. Hatfield and Melvin F. Handley. With the cooperation of North Texas State Teachers College (now the University of North Texas) and Sam Houston State Teachers College, the Trinity Valley Chemurgic Institute held classes for high school boys in the summer of 1940. Handley, a professor at Sam Houston State, conducted the school, and Dan Hudgins served as president. The institute promoted the study of the industrial potential of locally abundant natural resources, including Spanish moss, castor beans, and acorns. The outbreak of World War II cut short further operations. Although reorganization was contemplated in 1945, the school apparently never reopened.
Support Texas History Now
Join TSHA to support quality Texas history programs and receive exclusive benefits.
- Defunct Colleges and Universities
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.
Robert Wooster, “Trinity Valley Chemurgic Institute,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed October 20, 2020, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/trinity-valley-chemurgic-institute.
Published by the Texas State Historical Association.