Trout Creek is a rural community located at the junction of State Highway 87 and Farm roads 82 and 1004 about seventeen miles south of Newton in central Newton County. Settlement took place in the region as early as the 1860s. Pioneering families include the Wests, Herrins, Holmes, and Dyers. The Trout Creek Cemetery on the James West Survey was in use by the early 1860s, and the oldest marked grave is that of John G. Barnett, buried in 1861. The farming settlement was named for nearby Trout Creek. In 1869 residents had established a church. During the 1930s highway maps showed a church, cemetery, numerous farms, and some businesses, probably connected with the timber industry. In 1973 area families officially chartered the Trout Creek Cemetery Association, and the Trout Creek Cemetery was honored with a Texas Historical Marker in 1989. Part of the Trout Creek area falls within the E. O. Siecke State Forest. No population estimates were available in 2000.