Truby, on Farm Road 707 and the Clear Fork of the Brazos River, eight miles south of Anson in south central Jones County, was in the area settled by ranchers W. F. and George Scarborough in 1878. A school opened that year at Truby Mound, three miles east of the present site, but the first store did not open until 1908. Truby was off the railroad and major highway routes. It had a population of fifty-six and two businesses in 1940. By 1968 the estimated number of residents had declined to twenty-six, where it remained through 2000.