Trueloves, TX


By: Richard Elam

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: May 1, 1995


Trueloves (or Truloves), a virtual ghost town, was a small community in northeastern Johnson County in an area known as the Center League. Lemuel B. Truelove and his brother Jonathan Richard, grandsons of Jonathan Bird (see FORT BIRD), settled at that location in 1870. Lemuel eventually acquired several thousand acres of land and interest in two gins and helped establish the banking firm of Cotter, Truelove, and Company. A school was built in the late 1800s on the Truelove property called Love Joy. In 1907 a new school was named Truelove.

Frances Dickson Abernathy, The Building of Johnson County and the Settlement of the Communities of the Eastern Portion of the County (M.A. thesis, University of Texas, 1936).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Richard Elam, “Trueloves, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 22, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/trueloves-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
May 1, 1995

Place
Trueloves
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Johnson County
Associated Names

Truloves

Coordinates
  • Latitude: 32.40375320°
  • Longitude: -97.14111990°