Twin Mountain, TX (Coryell County)


By: Vivian Elizabeth Smyrl

Type: General Entry

Published: August 1, 1995


Twin Mountain is a small rural community a mile west of Farm Road 116 and two miles northwest of Copperas Cove in southern Coryell County. It was established in the early 1890s by Wendish settlers. The Immanuel Lutheran Church, organized in 1894, became the focal point of the community, and a Christian day school opened in 1896 to serve area children. Some residents were forced to move when the Fort Hood military reservation was established in the early 1940s, but much of the community was left untouched. Gradually, however, its residents were drawn away to larger towns, such as nearby Copperas Cove. The day school closed in 1956, and by the 1980s only the church marked Twin Mountain on county highway maps. By 2000 the community was no longer shown on maps.

Coryell County Genealogical Society, Coryell County, Texas, Families, 1854–1985 (Dallas: Taylor, 1986).
Categories:
  • Peoples
  • Wends
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Vivian Elizabeth Smyrl, “Twin Mountain, TX (Coryell County),” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed July 07, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/twin-mountain-tx-coryell-county.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

August 1, 1995

Place
Twin Mountain
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Coryell County