Tyler, George W. (1851–1927)

By: Erma Baker

Type: Biography

Published: 1952

Updated: July 1, 1995

George W. Tyler, historian, lawyer, and politician, was born in Coryell County, Texas, on October 31, 1851, the son of Orville and Caroline (Childers) Tyler. In 1864 he moved to Salado, where he graduated from Salado College in 1871. He then attended the University of Virginia and Eastman National Business College in Poughkeepsie, New York, in 1873. He graduated from Lebanon Law School in Tennessee in 1874. He practiced law in Belton and married Sue Wallace in 1878; they had two children. He represented the Twenty-third District in the Senate of the Twenty-first and Twenty-second legislatures, 1888–92. As a legislator, he authored the Texas Arbor Day law, and, according to some sources, originated the idea of a Railroad Commission. For many years he was president of the trustees of the Belton public schools, and he was on the board of regents of the University of Texas from 1925 to 1927. In 1912 Tyler retired from active law practice and devoted much time to the study of local history. His History of Bell County was edited by Charles W. Ramsdell and published posthumously in 1936. Tyler was also very active in Masonic affairs and served as grand master of the Grand Lodge of Texas in 1890. He is credited with helping to organize the first grand lodge in Mexico. He died on October 11, 1927, and is buried in Belton Cemetery.

Lewis E. Daniell, Personnel of the Texas State Government, with Sketches of Representative Men of Texas (Austin: City Printing, 1887; 3d ed., San Antonio: Maverick, 1892). Vertical Files, Dolph Briscoe Center for American History, University of Texas at Austin.


  • Education
  • Educators
  • Social Sciences

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Erma Baker, “Tyler, George W.,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed December 04, 2021, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/tyler-george-w.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

July 1, 1995