Uhland, TX


By: Daniel P. Greene

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: June 1, 1995


Uhland, on Farm Road 21 eleven miles northeast of San Marcos on the Hays-Caldwell county line, developed in the 1890s on the site of the former Live Oak community. Uhland had a post office from 1892 to 1902, and the community's businessmen served the ranchers and cotton farmers around Plum Creek for more than half a century. By 1910 the community had a cotton gin and two stores, and in 1950 the census listed seven businesses and 140 residents. In 1970 Uhland recorded no businesses and a population of ninety. In 1990 the population was 368. The population was 386 in 2000.

Mary Starr Barkley, A History of Central Texas (Austin: Austin Printing, 1970).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Daniel P. Greene, “Uhland, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 24, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/uhland-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
June 1, 1995

Place
Uhland
Currently Exists
Yes
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
2412124
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: Yes
Belongs to
  • Hays County
  • Caldwell County
Associated Names

Live Oak

Coordinates
  • Latitude: 29.96052150°
  • Longitude: -97.79700500°
Population Counts
People Year
368 1990
386 2000
1,014 2010
1,364 2019