Union Bower, TX

By: Matthew Hayes Nall

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: June 1, 1995


The site of Union Bower is now inside the city limits of Irving two miles west of Dallas in western Dallas County. The community was settled in the 1860s by families with varied religious preferences. In an attempt to establish a Sunday school for their children, the citizens of the community formed a "union" school that was taught by a man named Bowers, from which the community's name was derived. The community may have also been called Hawks Chapel after the name of a church in the area. In 1896–97 a local school had one teacher and thirty-five students. The community had its own school district, which was annexed by Dallas in 1952. In 1949 Union Bower had a population of twenty; the same figure continued to be reported until the community was annexed by Irving in the 1960s.

Dallas Times Herald, August 28, 1949.

Places:

  • Communities
  • Dallas/Fort Worth Region
  • North Texas

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Matthew Hayes Nall, “Union Bower, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed October 21, 2021, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/union-bower-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
June 1, 1995

This entry belongs to the following Handbook Special Projects:

Loading