Union Chapel, TX (Freestone County)


By: Chris Cravens

Type: General Entry

Published: August 1, 1995


Union Chapel is a community two miles west of Farm Road 488 and five miles north of Fairfield in central Freestone County. The Union Chapel School had seventy-one black pupils enrolled in 1893 and fifty-one in 1903. The community also had a church. In the 1930s it consisted of the school and a few scattered dwellings. By the 1960s only the church remained; it was still standing in the late 1980s.

Freestone County Historical Commission, History of Freestone County, Texas (Fairfield, Texas, 1978).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Chris Cravens, “Union Chapel, TX (Freestone County),” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 23, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/union-chapel-tx-freestone-county.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

August 1, 1995

Place
Union Chapel
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1349043
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Freestone County
Coordinates
  • Latitude: 31.79183290°
  • Longitude: -96.16247080°