Union Grove, TX (Upshur County)

By: Christopher Long

Type: General Entry

Published: August 1, 1995


Font size: A / A reset

Union Grove, a farming community a mile west of State Highway 155 and eleven miles southwest of Gilmer in southwestern Upshur County, was first settled before 1900. Around that time a school opened there, and in 1907 it had twenty-six black students. During the mid-1930s the community included a school, a church, a cemetery, and a few houses. After World War II its school was consolidated with that of Big Sandy, and in the mid-1960s all that remained of the community was a church and cemetery. In 1990 Union Grove was a dispersed rural community. The population was 346 in 2000.

Places:

  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Christopher Long, “Union Grove, TX (Upshur County),” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed September 18, 2021, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/union-grove-tx-upshur-county.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

August 1, 1995

Loading