Union Hill, TX (Titus County)


By: Cecil Harper, Jr.

Type: General Entry

Published: August 1, 1995


Union Hill is on Farm Road 2348 five miles southeast of Mount Pleasant in southeastern Titus County. It developed around a church and cemetery built on land donated by Alexander Tabb, who settled in the area in 1861. At its height around 1900, Union Hill had a school, a church, a cemetery, a general store, and a wagonmaker. The school was still open in 1932, with three teachers for students in grades one through eight, but by 1962 the district had been consolidated with the Chapel Hill school district. A small store still operated at the community in 1970, but the 1984 county highway map indicated that only the church and cemetery remained.

Morris Blackard, The History of Titus County, Texas, 1929–1964 (M.A. thesis, University of Texas, 1964). Quasqui Centennial Committee, Titus County Celebrates 125 Years (Mount Pleasant, Texas, 1971). Traylor Russell, History of Titus County (2 vols., Waco: Morrison, 1965, 1966; rpt., n.p.: Walsworth, 1975).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Cecil Harper, Jr., “Union Hill, TX (Titus County),” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 25, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/union-hill-tx-titus-county.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

August 1, 1995

Place
Union Hill
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1349080
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Titus County
Coordinates
  • Latitude: 33.12734320°
  • Longitude: -94.91937880°