Union Ridge, a rural community ten miles northeast of Gilmer on Farm Road 1975 in northeastern Upshur County, was first settled sometime after the Civil War. A Methodist church was organized in 1872 and a cotton gin was constructed in 1879. The community primarily grew cotton and corn. A school was in operation by the turn of the century, and in 1906 it had eighty-four students. In the mid-1930s Union Ridge had three churches, a school, and several stores and houses. After World War II the school was consolidated with the Gilmer district, but in the mid-1960s the community still had three churches, several stores, a community center, a rodeo arena, and a number of houses. In 2010 Union Ridge was a dispersed rural community; the community center and churches were still present. No population estimates are available.