The Union Terminal Company was chartered on March 16, 1912, as part of a project to secure a union station for the seven railroads then serving Dallas. By 1916 the company built five miles of track within Dallas, and the terminal building was opened in October of that year. In 1926 the company owned one locomotive. The original owners of the Union Terminal company, each with an one-eighth interest, were the Chicago, Rock Island and Gulf; Gulf, Colorado and Santa Fe; Houston and Texas Central; Missouri, Kansas and Texas of Texas; St. Louis, San Francisco and Texas; St. Louis Southwestern of Texas; Texas and Pacific; and Trinity and Brazos Valley. In 1925 the Fort Worth and Denver City acquired the interest owned by the Trinity and Brazos Valley. The presidency of the company alternated among the railroads. The last regular passenger train operated by a private railroad departed the terminal on May 31, 1969, and the Union Terminal Company was abandoned as of March 13, 1974. The headhouse and other facilities were sold to the City of Dallas, and the station is currently used by Amtrak.