Union, TX (Freestone County)


By: Chris Cravens

Type: General Entry

Published: August 1, 1995

Updated: March 12, 2021


Union, formerly known as Tacker, is a rural community on Farm Road 489 seven miles southwest of Teague in southwestern Freestone County. In 1860 Jacob W. Tacker donated two acres for a school and a cemetery, and the area became known as the Tacker community. A church was built in 1866; it was also used as a school. In 1891 a second structure, the Union Church, was built on the property, and the community and the cemetery were renamed Union. Forty-five White pupils were enrolled in the school in 1893, but by 1903 there were only eleven. In the 1930s the community had the cemetery, the church, and a number of scattered dwellings. A brick chapel was built there in 1962, and the Union Cemetery received a historical marker in 1968. In the 1960s and into the late 1980s only the cemetery and a few scattered dwellings remained.

Freestone County Historical Commission, History of Freestone County, Texas (Fairfield, Texas, 1978). Freestone County Historical Survey Committee, Official Texas Historical Markers of Freestone County (Fairfield?, Texas, 1974).

Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Chris Cravens, “Union, TX (Freestone County),” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed June 29, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/union-tx-freestone-county.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

August 1, 1995
March 12, 2021

Place
Union
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1349043
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Freestone County
Associated Names

Tacker

Coordinates
  • Latitude: 31.79183290°
  • Longitude: -96.16247080°