Unity, TX (Henderson County)

By: Christopher Long

Type: General Entry

Published: August 1, 1995


Font size: A / A reset

Unity was on Farm Road 773 eleven miles northeast of Athens in north central Henderson County. The area was first settled by Joseph M. and Mary Frances Oliver LaRue and their extended family, who moved to Texas from Bedford County, Tennessee, about 1852 and settled on the banks of Kickapoo Creek. A school was operating by 1906, when it had forty-eight students. The school later closed, and by the mid-1930s only an abandoned schoolhouse and a few houses remained. In the early 1990s the original LaRue house, built in 1858, was still standing.

Places:

  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Christopher Long, “Unity, TX (Henderson County),” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed September 18, 2021, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/unity-tx-henderson-county.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

August 1, 1995

Loading