Upshaw, TX


By: Christopher Long

Type: General Entry

Published: August 1, 1995


Upshaw, a rural community on Farm Road 343 eighteen miles northwest of Nacogdoches in northwestern Nacogdoches County, was settled before 1900. The community was founded as a freedmen's settlement, and was called County Line in the early years. By the mid-1930s the community was called Upshaw and had a school, a church, a store, and a number of houses. After World War II many of the residents moved away, but in the early 1990s two churches, a school, and a cemetery remained. No population estimates are available.

Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Christopher Long, “Upshaw, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed June 25, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/upshaw-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

August 1, 1995

Place
Upshaw
Currently Exists
Yes
Place Type
Town
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Nacogdoches County
Associated Names

County Line

Coordinates
  • Latitude: 31.72184300°
  • Longitude: -94.93743790°
Population Counts
People Year
400 2009