Valera, TX


By: Beatrice Grady Gay

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: June 1, 1995


Valera, at the junction of U.S. Highway 67 and Farm Road 503, in west central Coleman County, was developed on the George P. Cleveland ranch and named by Santa Fe Railroad officials in 1886. Its railroad location secured a modest prosperity. In 1946 Valera had a school, churches, seventeen businesses, and 500 people. Subsequently the community declined. In 1980 through 2000 Valera had a population of eighty and a post office.

Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Beatrice Grady Gay, “Valera, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed July 07, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/valera-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
June 1, 1995

Place
Valera
Currently Exists
Yes
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1349152
Town Fields
  • Has post office: Yes
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Coleman County
Coordinates
  • Latitude: 31.75292520°
  • Longitude: -99.54729090°
Population Counts
People Year
80 2009