Vandalia, TX


By: Cecil Harper, Jr.

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: August 1, 1995


Vandalia is five miles northeast of Clarksville in central Red River County. Its name was suggested by Sam Reed, who became postmaster when a post office opened there in 1902. The population of Vandalia probably reached its highest point in 1910, when it was reported as 100. The post office was closed in 1921, and by 1933 the population had declined to twenty-five. In 1984 Vandalia was a small community of scattered houses. In 2000 the population was thirty-five.

Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Cecil Harper, Jr., “Vandalia, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 25, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/vandalia-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
August 1, 1995

Place
Vandalia
Currently Exists
Yes
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1380709
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Red River County
Associated Names

Emmett

Readsville

Coordinates
  • Latitude: 33.67177540°
  • Longitude: -95.01577780°
Population Counts
People Year
35 2009