Logan Vandeveer, soldier and pioneer, son of William and Emily (Shackleford) Vandeveer, was born in Casey County, Kentucky, about 1815. He moved to Texas in 1833 and arrived first in Stephen F. Austin's Little Colony at Mina (Bastrop; see MINA MUNICIPALITY). There he enlisted in Capt. Jesse Billingsley's company on February 28, 1836. Vandeveer, a private, was badly wounded in the battle of San Jacinto and was discharged at Mina on June 1, 1836. His name is inscribed at the San Jacinto Monument (see SAN JACINTO MONUMENT AND MUSEUM) near Houston. Vandeveer was married to Lucinda Mays (Mayes) in 1838 or 1839 in Bastrop County; they had seven children. After his discharge from the army, Vandeveer entered the Texas Rangers and fought Indians throughout the Bastrop area. Vandeveer received tracts of land in what is now Burnet County for his service in the Texas Revolution, and he purchased additional land in the area. In 1849 he secured a contract from the United States government to supply meat and foodstuffs to Fort Croghan. By 1851 he had another contract to furnish beef to Fort Mason, fifty miles farther west. The 1850 census lists Logan Vandeveer, his wife Lucinda, and four daughters living in Hamilton (later Burnet). Probably Vandeveer's wife died soon thereafter, though researchers have not found her gravesite or any record of her death. Vandeveer was a leader in presenting the petition to the legislature in 1852 to establish Burnet County and was instrumental in having the town of Burnet named the county seat. He was named its first postmaster. In 1853 he opened the first Burnet school, known as the Collegiate School, and hired as teacher William H. Dixon, an Oxford University graduate, who taught a number of subjects, including French, Latin, geography, history, philosophy, mathematics, and elocution. In 1854 Vandeveer and an associate built the first substantial building (rock) in the town; in the 1980s it was still in use. A section of Burnet is known as the Vandeveer addition, and a street bears his name. In the summer of 1855 Vandeveer, his brother Zachary, and three other men took a large herd of cattle to Louisiana. Vandeveer developed yellow fever and died on September 2, 1855, in Plaquemines Parish, where he is buried.