Vandyke, TX


By: Tracey L. Compton

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: September 1, 1995


Vandyke, on State Highway 16 in north central Comanche County, was named for Van Dyke Frost, who donated land for a school there in the early 1870s. The community also had a church, and, from 1903 to 1905, a post office. The population of Vandyke was reported as fifteen in 1933, thirty in 1949, and twenty in 1980 through 2000.

Comanche County Bicentennial Committee, Patchwork of Memories: Historical Sketches of Comanche County, Texas (Brownwood, Texas: Banner Printing, 1976).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Tracey L. Compton, “Vandyke, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed June 27, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/vandyke-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
September 1, 1995

Place
Vandyke
Currently Exists
Yes
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1379207
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Comanche County
Coordinates
  • Latitude: 31.97236720°
  • Longitude: -98.56088080°
Population Counts
People Year
20 2009