Verona, TX


By: David Minor

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: June 1, 1995


Verona is near Pilot Grove Creek eight miles northeast of McKinney in northeast Collin County. Settlement of the area began in the 1870s. The organization of the community began in the fall of 1872 when A. R. Womble built a general store to serve area farmers. Soon thereafter a gristmill, cotton gin, and school were established. A post office opened on September 27, 1876. In November 1901 mail service was discontinued and routed through Farmersville. Verona's population was estimated at seventy-five in 1890 and twenty-five in 1933.

Roy Franklin Hall and Helen Gibbard Hall, Collin County: Pioneering in North Texas (Quanah, Texas: Nortex, 1975). J. Lee and Lillian J. Stambaugh, A History of Collin County (Austin: Texas State Historical Association, 1958).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

David Minor, “Verona, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 16, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/verona-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
June 1, 1995

Place
Verona
Currently Exists
Yes
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1380719
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Collin County
Associated Names

Womble

Coordinates
  • Latitude: 33.25344760°
  • Longitude: -96.43553980°
Population Counts
People Year
34 2009