Vienna is on Farm Road 530 near the Navidad River ten miles east of Hallettsville in southeastern Lavaca County. It was settled by Anglo-American planters in 1840. John Mixon established a store and post office and suggested the town's name. Gen. John W. Whitfield, one of the first settlers, organized Whitfield's Legion during the Civil War. In 1868 German and Bohemian immigrants settled along the river. Pat Carvell donated land for a school built in 1880, and Louis Teltschick built a gin and sawmill. On June 30, 1940, the Navidad overflowed and flooded all the buildings near its banks. In 1980 through 2000 the community reported a population of forty.