The Handbook of Texas is free-to-use thanks to the support of readers like you. Support the Handbook today.

Font size: A / A reset

Viesca Precinct

Malcolm D. McLean General

The Precinct of Viesca, sometimes confused with the municipality of Viesca, was established by the ayuntamiento of San Felipe de Austin on November 1, 1830, as one of the Mexican governmental subdivisions. Its boundary began at the crossing of the Coushatta Trace on the east bank of the Brazos River, thence in a direct line to the Atascosito Road at a point four leagues from the Brazos, along the Atascosito Road to the divide between the San Jacinto and Trinity rivers, northward on the divide to the Old San Antonio Road, along the San Antonio Road to the Brazos, and down the meanders of the Brazos to its place of beginning.

Eugene C. Barker, ed., "Minutes of the Ayuntamiento of San Felipe de Austin, 1828–1832," 12 parts, Southwestern Historical Quarterly 21–24 (January 1918-October 1920).

Time Periods:

  • Mexican Texas
  • Spanish Texas

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Malcolm D. McLean, “Viesca Precinct,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed September 29, 2020, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/viesca-precinct.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

This entry belongs to the following Handbook Special Projects:

Loading