Village Creek, TX


By: David Minor

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: February 9, 2019


Village Creek was a rural community on Village Creek six miles from Fort Worth in east central Tarrant County. The settlement was named for several Indian villages on the creek that had been destroyed by Texas Rangers in the early 1840s. Village Creek began to decline after the Texas and Pacific bypassed it and arrived instead at the nearby community of Handley in 1876. The Village Creek community, however, maintained a public school, which in the 1896–97 school year had an enrollment of fifty-seven and employed one teacher. Until 1968 a local elementary school continued to retain the name of the old community, which is now a part of the Fort Worth metropolitan area.

Categories:
  • Peoples
  • Native American
Places:
  • Communities
  • Dallas/Fort Worth Region
  • North Texas

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

David Minor, “Village Creek, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 16, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/village-creek-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
February 9, 2019

This entry belongs to the following Handbook Special Projects:


Place
Village Creek
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1349283
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Tarrant County
Coordinates
  • Latitude: 32.69929930°
  • Longitude: -97.24362490°