Villegas, TX


By: Christopher Long

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: November 1, 1995


Villegas was on the Texas-Mexican Railroad eighteen miles east of Laredo in south central Webb County. The settlement was named for its location on a ranch that at one time belonged to Joaquín Villegas. The site had been a resort for hunters and fishermen. The community was on the mail route from Aguilares and served the nearby Reiser oilfield. In the early 1990s only a few scattered dwellings still marked the site of the former settlement.

Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Christopher Long, “Villegas, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed August 07, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/villegas-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
November 1, 1995

Place
Villegas
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Webb County