Volga, TX


By: Mike Smalley

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: June 1, 1995


Volga was three miles north of Weldon and twenty miles south of Crockett in southern Houston County. A Volga post office was established in 1897 with J. A. Siddon as postmaster and discontinued in 1917. The first population record of Volga dates from 1914, when the community had 100 residents and a telephone connection, four general stores, and a cotton gin. In 1936 and 1945 Volga had one business and a population of twenty-five; a church was reported in the latter year. The Volga school was eventually combined with the Lovelady Independent School District.

Houston County Historical Commission, History of Houston County, Texas, 1687–1979 (Tulsa, Oklahoma: Heritage, 1979).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Mike Smalley, “Volga, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed July 07, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/volga-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
June 1, 1995

Place
Volga
Currently Exists
Yes
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1377293
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Houston County
Associated Names

High Prairie

Coordinates
  • Latitude: 31.06574010°
  • Longitude: -95.58216740°
Population Counts
People Year
9 2009