Vontress, TX


By: Charles G. Davis

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: June 1, 1995


Vontress is on Farm Road 1080 a mile north of Millers Creek and thirteen miles northeast of Haskell in northeast Haskell County. A post office was established there on March 13, 1906, with George J. Clough as postmaster; Sarah M. Weaver was appointed postmistress on February 17, 1915. The post office had been closed by the early thirties. The settlement's population was estimated at twenty from 1926 to 1947. From 1931 to 1947 one business was active there. County maps of the 1980s showed Vontress to be a rural community with no businesses.

Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Charles G. Davis, “Vontress, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed June 27, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/vontress-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
June 1, 1995

Place
Vontress
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Haskell County
Associated Names

Mount Zora

Coordinates
  • Latitude: 33.27241100°
  • Longitude: -99.61355400°