Voss, TX


By: Beatrice Grady Gay

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: August 1, 1995


Voss, on Farm Road 503 in southwestern Coleman County, originated as the headquarters of the Leaday Ranch and was named after the ranch superintendent who petitioned for a post office. The community began to develop in 1904 and soon had three stores, two hotels, a blacksmith shop, a barber shop, a school, a gin, and a post office. In 1946 Voss still had six businesses and 120 people, but by 1980 the population had declined to twenty, although the post office still functioned. Through 2000 the population was still twenty.

Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Beatrice Grady Gay, “Voss, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed July 05, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/voss-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
August 1, 1995

Place
Voss
Currently Exists
Yes
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1380730
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Coleman County
Associated Names

Daylea

Coordinates
  • Latitude: 31.62098610°
  • Longitude: -99.56173320°
Population Counts
People Year
20 2009