The Waco Times-Herald, a consolidation of the Waco Morning Times and the Waco Herald, began publication as a morning daily in August 1897. The paper belonged to a group of Waco businessmen until April 1899, when it was bought by C. J. Glover and George Robinson. Ephraim S. Fentress and Charles Edward Marsh, publishers of the Waco News-Tribune, acquired the Times-Herald in October 1927. In 1950 the Times-Herald, published as an afternoon newspaper, had a circulation of 23,905, and the firm's Sunday newspaper had a circulation of 43,133. The paper combined its morning and afternoon editions in November 1973 and changed its name to Waco Tribune-Herald. It was purchased by Cox Enterprises on January 6, 1976. In 1990 the paper had a daily circulation of 58,500 and a Sunday circulation of 70,000.