Wake is on Farm Road 28 forty-five miles east-northeast of Lubbock in Crosby County. It was named for Wake Island and was founded in 1902, when William Andrew Jackson Jones donated land and lumber for a post office. This office remained open until 1917, when a change in the mail route forced its closure. In 1901 the first school classes in the area were conducted in a storage crib owned by Jones. The first school building was erected in 1902. A new schoolhouse was built in 1910 but was twice damaged by fire and was replaced with a new building in 1916. Children attended classes here until Wake was consolidated with Crosbyton in 1941. Jess Norris built a store and cotton gin at Wake in 1916. The store remained in operation until 1960, and the gin continued to function until April 18, 1973. Wake had a population of sixty in 1940 and fifty-five in 1980.